Better suspension? - Page 2 - Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerchef View Post
Costly... Adjust the tire pressure to your liking instead. 36psi for me. Even 2 psi makes a huge difference. 38 psi is harsh!
The sticker on the swingarm says to run 18 front and rear. Seems like 36 would make the ride harsh on my back.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIV View Post
I ride on road and off road with both wheels set at 125 kpa (18 psi), usually two up, but it feels equally good regardless if I ride alone or with a passenger. Carrying somewhat heavy luggage in addition to riding with a passenger is where I notice suspension is working extra hard. Actually, so hard I'm not sure I'll ever ride in that scenario ever again. Maybe with a different suspension provided it makes a noticeably difference in this situation.
Adjust the tire pressure for an extra passenger or heavy load. 18 to 30psi is safe. I drop to 18psi when off roading with full camping gear and it's great. 30psi for street.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIV View Post
Well, if you weren't concerned with the price tag, do you think it would make a significant difference on this bike?
Suspension upgrades are usually the very best money you can spend on any bike. I've not been able to find anyone who makes after market suspension for the VV & 2 separate dealers parts dept. guys have told me they're not aware of anything either. The VV is definitely a budget bike & I don't think it would hold up long to big jumps even with a quality suspension but, the hit from rough pavement & pot holes could stand to be smoothed out a bit.

Upgrading the weak breaks seems like money better spent on the VV but, if the after market does end up offering bolt on/drop in suspension upgrades I will definitely be interested. I won't go through the hassle or expense of having something fabricated for it though.

Free speech is literally No.1 on the list of beliefs that make us Americans. NOTHING is more offensive to a true American than censorship.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Human View Post
Suspension upgrades are usually the very best money you can spend on any bike. I've not been able to find anyone who makes after market suspension for the VV & 2 separate dealers parts dept. guys have told me they're not aware of anything either. The VV is definitely a budget bike & I don't think it would hold up long to big jumps even with a quality suspension but, the hit from rough pavement & pot holes could stand to be smoothed out a bit.

Upgrading the weak breaks seems like money better spent on the VV but, if the after market does end up offering bolt on/drop in suspension upgrades I will definitely be interested. I won't go through the hassle or expense of having something fabricated for it though.
Oh well... This weekend we rode 605km two up in mountainous area, including bad roads with lots of potholes. When we returned I noticed that rear shock was squeaking even when it was compressed just a little bit. May be it's something else.. and if it is the shock, well it's pretty old (11 years) so maybe it's time to replace it but anyway...

Two-up, with some reasonable luggage (a 15kg backpack) and VanVan's suspension is already under some significant stress. It can still cope with medium sized potholes just fine but you can just feel how much stress it is under. There's barely any travel left and you have to be really careful where you're pointing your bike. You're spot on about brakes too. Brakes are more or less okay when you're riding solo (I weigh about 60kg). When riding two-up, with some luggage like we typically do the stopping distance doubles. I didn't measure it but again you can feel that brakes are barely stopping the bike especially when you're stopping fast from 90-80 kph.

So, yeah, I would definitely go for better brakes if it is possible without any modifications (i.e. drop-in replacement).

As for suspension, I guess I will just have to get a new bike someday

Too bad, VV is almost kind of perfect for me. People also often comment on how cool my bike is. Makes me grin from ear to ear, knowing that it's a budget bike and I still get all the attention big boys with expensive fancy toys get

PS: not just random pedestrians but also bikers riding bigger bikes!
Feral Human likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page