My first flat - Page 3 - Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitano View Post
Newby here. Sounds like the Ride-On Balancer and Sealant is good insurance!
Also I noticed in manual (7-36) that a special tool is required to remove the front wheel. WTF, we're supposed to know that?! It doesn't come with it?

Ride-On balancer and sealant didn't work well when I tried it in a tubed tire. It did work well on tubeless tires for me.

In the case of the flat I got with the tube tire, it was a piece of wire and tore the tube instead of just puncturing it. The tire came off the bead and I was lucky to get it pulled over without going down.
Flyin'Monkeys likes this.

2017 Van Van 200
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Ride-On balancer and sealant didn't work well when I tried it in a tubed tire. It did work well on tubeless tires for me.

In the case of the flat I got with the tube tire, it was a piece of wire and tore the tube instead of just puncturing it. The tire came off the bead and I was lucky to get it pulled over without going down.
The post above, by "twowheeladdict" is correct. Ride On tire sealant and balancer is much better inside a tubeless tire, but SLIME sealant is much better inside a tubed tire.

However, as stated above, anything that "tears" the tube, will render the tube useless, and no amount of sealant can fix that.

I plan on using 3 oz. of SLIME inside the front tire tubes, and 4 oz. of SLIME inside the rear tire tubes on our 2 Van Vans.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin'Monkeys View Post
The post above, by "twowheeladdict" is correct. Ride On tire sealant and balancer is much better inside a tubeless tire, but SLIME sealant is much better inside a tubed tire.

However, as stated above, anything that "tears" the tube, will render the tube useless, and no amount of sealant can fix that.

I plan on using 3 oz. of SLIME inside the front tire tubes, and 4 oz. of SLIME inside the rear tire tubes on our 2 Van Vans.
I only decided against Slime, because I read that some mechanics refuse to work on your wheel if the slime is there, because of how liquid-y it is, so it gets everywhere. Ride On was recommended because it apparently turns into more of a somewhat-solid paste as it lines the tire, then kinda holds up when you get the nail. (Noting that it's a nail, not ripping the thing lol)

It's been a few days since I started working and now I'm back at it. Trying to break the bead, but can't get the damned thing free lol I'm considering buying a tool that's meant for breaking the bead (I thought the spoons would be helpful enough, but boy was I wrong.) Anyone have a tip on how break the bead? I'm filming the process, so I want to find a way that's practical for a beginner (like myself) and can be accomplished without throwing money at it (like I'm about to do.) Otherwise, I'd just use my other motorcycle's kickstand to do it; but most people don't have a spare FZ-1 sitting around 😂

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:55 AM

If you weren't 3500 miles away from me, I would say come on up to my place, and I will show you how to do everything on your bike, as I love instructing riders how to be mechanically self-sufficient.

Do you have a bench vise in your garage or shop? Try spraying the tire, at the seam to the wheel, with WD-40, and letting it sit for a few hours.

Given that this is a tube type tire, it generally is NOT hard to break that bead, and release the tire from the wheel.

The sidestand from your FZ-1 will work, if you find nothing else. Using a car jack, on top of the rear tire, while the tire is laid flat, and then jacking the car jack UP under your car, so in essence you are using the car jack to push DOWN onto the bike's rear tire, that could also serve as a leverage point.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork501 View Post
I only decided against Slime, because I read that some mechanics refuse to work on your wheel if the slime is there, because of how liquid-y it is, so it gets everywhere. Ride On was recommended because it apparently turns into more of a somewhat-solid paste as it lines the tire, then kinda holds up when you get the nail. (Noting that it's a nail, not ripping the thing lol)

It's been a few days since I started working and now I'm back at it. Trying to break the bead, but can't get the damned thing free lol I'm considering buying a tool that's meant for breaking the bead (I thought the spoons would be helpful enough, but boy was I wrong.) Anyone have a tip on how break the bead? I'm filming the process, so I want to find a way that's practical for a beginner (like myself) and can be accomplished without throwing money at it (like I'm about to do.) Otherwise, I'd just use my other motorcycle's kickstand to do it; but most people don't have a spare FZ-1 sitting around 😂
You can make a home made bead breaker for home use out of wood. Do a google and/or youtube search.

I have the harbor Freight tire changer with motorcycle attachment. It is OK, but does take up a lot of space.

2017 Van Van 200
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page