Engine upsize? - Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Engine upsize?

Hi all- I bought a 200 cc van van as a bike to learn on and ended up loving it. But because of where I live and my size (210lbs) I’m really limited because I can’t dependably get it above 45-50mph on our steep hills. Cars and trucks are buzzing by me at speed and I feel it’s a dangerous situation for me. Has anyone heard of replacing the engine with a 300cc, or another solution that would make my bike a little quicker? Btw I am Capt. Cautious and do not want to make any changes that would overpower the overall design of the bike to make a dangerous situation. Thanks!
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi all- I bought a 200 cc van van as a bike to learn on and ended up loving it. But because of where I live and my size (210lbs) Iím really limited because I canít dependably get it above 45-50mph on our steep hills. Cars and trucks are buzzing by me at speed and I feel itís a dangerous situation for me. Has anyone heard of replacing the engine with a 300cc, or another solution that would make my bike a little quicker? Btw I am Capt. Cautious and do not want to make any changes that would overpower the overall design of the bike to make a dangerous situation. Thanks!
Swapping out a motor that the bike wasn't designed for usually requires a torch & welder to alter the frame. I don't know of anyone who currently makes an air cooled 300cc motor & there's no way you'd squeeze a liquid cooled 300 in a VV frame The breaks barely stop the VV as it is now, so you'd definitely want to upgrade the breaks for a bigger motor. Probably much cheaper to get a bigger bike. I suggest sticking to back roads & cutting through neighborhoods, allies & woods in order to avoid routes where traffic flow is above 50 mph.

Free speech is literally No.1 on the list of beliefs that make us Americans. NOTHING is more offensive to a true American than censorship.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 02:15 PM
GJH

A GN400 motor has been done, but it wasnít a drop in job, lots of welding reqíd

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 PM

I agree with Feral. When I consider the expense and headaches involved in that kind of upgrade it's just frightening. I'd likely lose interest before it was completed. I've been involved in enough ridiculous "projects" to know...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 AM

I would say the best way to gain a little acceleration and top speed is to lose 40 lbs. You and the bike will be happier.

You could probably find someone who could fit a larger jug and piston to enlarge the engine. A lot of bikes have larger engine kits available.

The cheapest mod would be to put a thinner head gasket on the engine to increase compression, but then you would need to run higher octane fuel to keep pre-ignition from occurring.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

In all seriousness, how many MPH would be gained by losing 40 lbs or by putting 40lbs on a rack/backpack?

Also, could you provide any more detail on what you are saying about the mod that requires high octane fuel?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In all seriousness, how many MPH would be gained by losing 40 lbs or by putting 40lbs on a rack/backpack?

Also, could you provide any more detail on what you are saying about the mod that requires high octane fuel?
I can't tell you how many MPH would be gained but if you were 40 lbs lighter the HP to weight ratio would go up and you would provide less wind resistance.

Here are some articles / discussions on putting on a thinner head gasket to increase compression and improve power.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/...-on-the-cheap/

https://www.kawiforums.com/2007-2008...race-fuel.html

https://www.visordown.com/features/w...ression-ratios

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page