Things you did as a kid - Page 2 - Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I remember having a BB gun. It had a 50 bb spring loaded magazine that screwed into the end of the gun. It was a one pump deal to **** it.

You never knew what direction the bb would come and curve.

This time of year I would walk along a lane down to our creek. It was about 1/4 mile down this lane to out pasture where dad had about 7 milk cows. Along the lane was Osage orange trees we called hedge. At this time of year the fruit of the tree would be a softball size size we called hedge apples. There would be hundreds of them to shut at. You could easily tell if you hit one as a milky substance would ooze out of it.

On a good year when these started to fall, sometimes it was hard to walk as the ground would be covered with them. Cows & squirrels would eat them.

The reason I would be on the lane, was I was to make sure the cows were up to the barn for Dad to milk them of an evening. Many times you could call them and they would start back to the barn on their own. Occasionly I’d have to go to the far end of the pastures to get them. That was close to another half mile. So as a kid I’d get distracted going and getting the cows, but they were always at the barn on time.

That is my story and I’m sticking to it.
Flyin'Monkeys likes this.

Hoopeston,IL/Quartzsite/AZ

Last edited by rmartin; 10-05-2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Darn spell checker changing the words
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

In 8th grade I wanted to get a Harley Davidson 125 bike, but I didnít have enough money, mom wouldnít let me anyhow. A kid a couple years older than me would ride by our house several times a week on the way to his grand parents. I can remember seeing him when I was outside. I thought that was so cool.

For graduation mom & dad gave me $35 dollars and got a few more from relatives, and I had some saved. I found a used Sears moped peddle style 50 cc for sale in a town 13 miles away. It was a 2 speed with clutch and gear selection on left handle bar. I convinced my parents to go look at it, and we hauled it home in the back of the trunk at a whopping $95 purchase price.

Thus began my motorcycling carrier.

Iíll post some more on this in another post.
Feral Human, rws and Flyin'Monkeys like this.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

I didnít mention the moped was a 2 cycle. The plug was always fouled it seemed. I would clean them at home and carry 3-4 with me at all times.

I got so good at changing them, I could put it in neutral , take the plug out, start putting another one in, and be done by the time I coasted to a stop.

Those were the good old days with not a worry at all.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 PM
AWS

I grew up in a two room cabin with no running water, mom always said we had running water, she'd have me run out to the pump and bring a bucket full in in the morning. We were in what is now a suburb of Milwaukee but then it was country. I snared rabbits and pheasants to help with groceries in the winter and fished the Milwaukee river for smallmouth bass and northern pike in the summer and in the evening soak bait for catfish.

I built my first MC back then. I found an old Continental kick start wash machine motor and a 20" bike, my dad helped me mount the motor and find a centrifugal clutch, man I had wheels. Top speed was 29mph checked by my dad following me with the car. it had no brakes other than shoe leather on the pavement. I put a lot of miles on it until I hit a railroad tie buried in the grass while I was off-roading with it. It crushed the front wheel and folded up the frame. I moved on to racing boats swapping work and what ever for a Sidcraft class B utility and a 25hp Johnson outboard that my dad helped me soup it up.
rmartin and Flyin'Monkeys like this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

I remember my first ride on a bicycle without training wheels. Dad had taken the training wheels off, and was walking behind the bike holding it up.

I turned around and said at the same time you can let go. Splat straight west of the entrance into the barn.

I donít remember much on riding after that, but that sure stands out in my mind. My first solo crash.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

As I had stated before, I lived in the country with one brother 7 years, and the other 14 years older. I donít remember my 14 years older brother at all at home.

So I pretty much played by myself. One year for my birthday I wanted a model airplane. I used to ride on the passenger side of the car a lot and stick my hand out the window and let the air move my hand around. I my hand was flying.

Well I got a cox plastic airplane. I flew it in the same area between the yard fence and the barn. My Dad helped me laiunch it. Well it didnít take long for it to loop and , crash, and break the motor mount.

It took a while to save $.60 to buy my replacement motor mount. Dad was too busy to help me, so how was I going to fly it. Some how I came up with the idea to launch it myself. I got 3 nails about a 16 penny size. I made a small loop on a string and attached it to the bag of the plane. I drove 2 nails in the ground of our well packed barn lot. The 3rd nail I attached to a nail, tied a string to that nail, stuck that 3rd nail though the loop and placed it behind the 2 nails I drove into the ground.

I ran the string from that 3rd nail to where my control lined handle was in the center of the circle.

Awe pass a launching system for my plane. At to my amazement it actually worked, and I flew many a flight by myself using this system.
The grass was very short in that barn lot because I had sheep as a 4H project. They were one heck of a lawn mower.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page