2Likes
  • 1 Post By EtniesFreak
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Gary Peter
Thumbs up Thinking of becoming a vanvan owner

Thinking of buying one. I have a Kawasaki KLR 650 now. Would like to now what people think of riding a Vanvan 200 on highway to off road trail.
Would it go 100 Kms an hr on highway and how do they handle off road. Old logging roads.
Thanks
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:59 PM

Hi Gary, don't think about it just get it if you can !!!!!
Amazing fun !!! I have had 200 version for 2yrs and it keeps on getting better. It can hold a steady 70mph and no more unless the wind is kind. I get around 110 mile from a full tank. You will not regret buying one I assure that.
Best Wishes Andy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 PM

First off Gary, I think a person's weight may be the 2nd biggest factor when it comes to highway performance. If you don't weigh much you may be able to hold 70 miles an hour, not comfortably, but it might do it.
I have had mine up to 70, but that was on a slight decline and it was pretty much all it had. It will hold around 55 to 60 on a mild to moderate incline, as long as the wind is not working against you, but it will be screaming. That being said, I am in the ballpark of 255 lbs. If someone was around 180 or less, I do think it would be able to cruise around at least 60 to 65 mph semi comfortably.
The bike seems to do pretty well on oil roads and old mining roads. It can also handle basic ATV trails pretty good, but I would recommend more aggressive tires like the Yamaha TW200 has if you're going to try to take it on anything more than that. It's also not horrible in the snow offroad, but I would not recommend taking it on hard packed snow on the street.

Hope this helped at least a little.
Magic Rooster likes this.

Last edited by EtniesFreak; 05-05-2019 at 12:59 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Peter View Post
Thinking of buying one. I have a Kawasaki KLR 650 now. Would like to now what people think of riding a Vanvan 200 on highway to off road trail.
Would it go 100 Kms an hr on highway and how do they handle off road. Old logging roads.
Thanks
I have an '06 KLR-650 & Just bought the wife a VV. Still haven't hit 1000 miles yet so I haven't been WTFO on the VV but, it seems like the VV handles 52 MPH about like the KLR handles 70 MPH with factory gearing. As the VV breaks in it may get a little better & some riders drop a couple teeth on the rear sprocket to lower vibes at speed. I live in hill country & don't think I want to drop any low end torque as I already have to shift down to make it up hills that the KLR chugs along effortlessly.

I would never take the VV out on an interstate & try not to spend too much time on anything posted 55 as people around here tend to go 60 or more on those roads & I HATE being tail gated on a motorcycle.

Haven't taken the VV off road yet, most of Tennessee is very rocky & the skid plate on my KLR often rings like a gong from bouncing gravel. Once I get a skid plate for the VV I'll test her off road manners. Ridding down my buddy's gravel driveway (with a step upturn at the road) at an easy pace seems effortless but, that's not a legitimate test.

Free speech is literally No.1 on the list of beliefs that make us Americans. NOTHING is more offensive to a true American than censorship.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
rws

I bought a 2019 Van Van...nice little bike but it is not an off-road bike.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws View Post
Why not? I have done a lot of trail riding on mine. It is all about how fast do you want to go, and what kind of trails.
Magic Rooster likes this.

2017 Van Van 200
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Peter View Post
Thanks
Depending on your weight and the gearing the VV200 can go a steady 100kph (not any more though). Right now with stock gearing and my camping gear I keep a steady 90kph no problem. A windscreen would help on the highways I'm betting as well. It's great for some moderate offroading (gravel roads, logging roads). If you are doing more serious offroading maybe a TW200 might do the trick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws View Post
These riders disagree

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page