Farkles on Van Van the Orangutan - Page 2 - Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:20 AM

Greetings FM (and everyone else)! Since you're a seasoned global rider, 2 questions:
What about this "special tool" mentioned in the OM (pg 7-36) required to remove the front wheel shaft? And, secondly, do you use either Green Slime or Ride-On goop in your tires?
My concern is that I'll be riding the back country of Baja and have a flat and no way to fix it.
Suggestions?
Flyin'Monkeys likes this.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Wherever You Go, There You Are![/FONT]
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Gitano, those are good questions, so...........come on down...........for your answers.

The special tool that is needed to remove the front axle on the front wheel is nothing more than a 12mm allen wrench, or 12mm hex head tool.
Almost anyone that has a small toolbox for working on 99% of these metric bikes, has a small set of the usual suspects of Allen wrenches inside their toolbox, i.e., the ubiquitous 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, and maybe even a 10mm allen wrench. What is less usual is the smaller ones, like a 4mm, or even a 3mm, and the larger ones like a 12mm, 13mm, 14mm 15mm and the 17mm.

Okay, down to the brass tacks..........what you all need in this case is the 12mm Allen wrench.

Solution, go to your local ACE hardware, or Home Depot, or Lowes, or even a NAPA...whichever decent hardware/tool shop is close to you, and ask for a singular 12mm Allen wrench, usually you will find this as a Allen socket wrench, that is fitted onto a 3/8" square drive socket, so you can use a 3/8" socket wrench to spin this 12mm allen wrench.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6115hwP+qEL._SL1499_.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	3296

If the retailer does not have a 12mm allen head socket to sell you, see if they have a 12mm allen wrench, which is nothing more than a larger sized L shaped wrench, like all those loose allen wrenches in your tool box, but it will be the largest one in your tool box from now one.

Name:	61tq0MYXJxL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	3298

As for the SLIME versus Ride On issue.......as I have stated in a different thread, if the tires on the motorcycle are TUBELESS, then use Ride On inside the tires, as it is both a Sealant and a Balancer. But if the tires on your bike require a TUBE, like on all out Van Van's, then use SLIME, as SLIME is much more of a Sealant, than it is a Balancer.

SLIME will have some properties to assist a bit in Balancing a tire/tube combination, but its' primary purpose is to SEAL the tire/tube in the case of a small hole leak.

I happen to have a 1 gallon dispenser of SLIME in my shop, with a hose on it, and a hand pump, so I know how many "pumps" it takes for each ounce of SLIME to be dispelled from the container.

Additionally....SLIME is more of a "preventive" measure, to assist you "IF" you get a small hole poked into your tire/tube.
But Ride On (a very good product) is more of an essential tool, used more for higher speed street tires, and inside TUBELESS tires, to serve as both a Sealant and a Balancer of the tubeless tire.

When I rode up towards TUK (Tuktoyaktuk) in the Northwest Territories last year, on my '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT, those tubeless tires had Ride On inside them.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

For those of you that have been paying attention, I earlier stated I have been installing more farkles onto our two new V V's, so here are some pictures of the completed work.

First up, the new Rubber Fork Boots, as described in an earlier post on this thread.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1571671921
https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1571672881

Next is a picture of the ManRacks, rear cargo rack. LOVE this product, IMO better than a CycleRacks rear rack.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1571672936

Next, is a picture of the Goldwing 1800 FootPeg, on the bike, rather than the OEM footpeg. This Goldwing 1800 footpeg is 3/4" lower, and offers a larger platform to rest your foot on.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1571672996

And finally (thus far) are pictures of the new Front Fender Extenda, from Pyramid Plastics. VERY easy to install, and keeps a lot of crap off the front of the engine.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1571673055

Name:	Van Van Farkles 010.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	3302
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Van Van Farkles 004.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	3304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van Farkles 005.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	3306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van Farkles 006.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	3308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van Farkles 007.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	3310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van Farkles 009.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	3312  

twowheeladdict and wasions like this.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:08 PM

Question for Flying Monkey

Hello,

Dwain here, in Sammamish, WA

Just curious if you would prefer a black seat to your brown one.

I have a 2017 with only 500 miles on it, seat is perfect.

Let me know if you have any interest in a color swap, as I would love the brown

Thanks!

[email protected]
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Dwain, thanks for the offer. However I really like the Brown seat, and the contrast to the Silverback Gorilla Grey color of the bike.

If there is ever anytrhing you want to do TO your bike, or things to learn about maintenance, etc, just hit me up, as I am very happy to show/teach/share info, and I do it all for FREE.

Flyin' Monkeys
Fork501 likes this.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin'Monkeys View Post
Today I installed a bunch of new parts/farkles to my own 2019 Van Van, the Silvervback Gorilla Grey Van Van.

But the one item I want to tell you about that was very surprising as to how well they fit, was the new fork boots.
I install rubber fork boots on all my bikes, because I ride the entire world, and I do mean all 7 continents, so I have experienced fork seals leaking, due to debris on the fork legs. To remedy that, and better protect the fork legs, I now use rubber fork boots/gaiters on all my bikes.

These are the ones I received today, and they got installed on MY new Van Van today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 3270

What made me really happy about these fork boots, is the FIT. They are the P-E-R-fect 33 mm for the nice tight fit to the fork sliding tube, and they are the P-E-R-fect size larger opening to fit over the lower leg, the fixed leg of the fork tubes, so the boots slide onto the lower leg and are snug, but comfortably snug.

I attach one tie-wrap at the top of each fork boot, where the fork boot is slid UP to the bottom of the lower triple trees. But on the bottom of the fork boots, I usually leave that open, so NO air is compressed inside the fork boots when the front suspension is moved up and down as the bike is ridden. In this case, the lower opening of the fork boots slid nicely onto the lower fork leg....again...snug, but comfortably snug.
I clicked on the link and found some real bad reviews on those. Let me know how they work after they're a year or so old...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

I read the "few" reviews on Amazon, regarding these fork boots, and while one of them said these were a cheap plastic, and not really "rubber", I can tell you the ones I received and installed are indeed RUBBER, and as good of rubber fork boots as those on my wife's 2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS, or as good as what I had on my 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT.

Also, I store ALL of my motorcycles INSIDE when they are not being ridden, which means they are NOT exposed to the Cold of the Winter, or the Heat of the Summer, left out to have rubberized items freeze or melt due to weather conditions.

I think we can all agree, it all depends on how well anyone CARES for their motorcycles. I put a lot of money into our motorcycles, so I take the care to make sure I install the very best products I can, and I care for them the best I can.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1571979274
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Van Van Farkles 005.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	3318  
wasions likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Received a package from WebBike today, with the TWO under-engine frame mounts/engine guards, that are made for these Van Vans.

Once I install these on our two new V V's this weekend, that will be the end of farkle installation, and the bikes will be ready to conquer the World.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:28 AM
jef

I look forward to seeing some pics of the installation.

What will the effect be on oil changing ?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
I look forward to seeing some pics of the installation.

What will the effect be on oil changing ?
jef, as you can see in this picture, there is NO interference with changing the engine oil.

Did MY new V V first, and after figuring out HOW I wanted to do it, got job done, then did my wife's new V V.

Her bike took me 5 minutes, beginning to end. And I do mean 5 minutes, literally.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1572719814
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	3320  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page