SoCal Van Van Meanderings - Suzuki Van Van 200 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

SoCal Van Van Meanderings

Thank you to vanvan200.com admin for putting together an area to post up our ride reports.

The spirit of this thread will be nothing more taking a pic's while out and about on my Van Van, a little wrenching, and just basically a bunch of jiberish. While I maintain a couple other threads in two other forums, you may see lots of duplication here, for that I apologize.

---------------

Let me start with 4-22-17, the day I bought my VV.

Not much to share from that day for my time was very limited, no real riding other than from the dealership in Long Beach, CA. to my shop in Signal Hill.

I had been in & out of the dealership for over a month, we just couldn't agree on price, but then it finally all came together. So there the little guy waits, getting prepped to come home with me.

A couple miles away at my shop.

My first time spending any time on the bike came the next morning, keeping it close, just cruising around the Long Beach Airport area. This is part of the old McDonnell Douglas facility where they produced all the commercial Douglas aircraft, DC-1 up through the MD-11's. The plant has been shut down for quite a while since Boeing took them over. It has since turned into a pretty large industrial/commercial area, very modern.

...and since I'm at the airport.

I'll continue to add content right here in this thread, I sure look forward to anyone that'll chime in!

Thanks for looking.
VanVanAdmin and Knobbers like this.
post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 01:55 AM

Great glamour shots of your new VanVan200! Any plans of taking the vanvan on a road trip?
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbers View Post
Great glamour shots of your new VanVan200! Any plans of taking the vanvan on a road trip?

Hello Knobbers,

Yeah, The wife & I have a little something planned this week. It means trucking the VV first, then off loading it. Kinda keeping it on the down low cause I usually have a way of jinxing myself too early. If it happens, I'll be sure to post up some pics.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

At one point I'm gunna have to be redundant on these Ride Reports, that is if you also lurk on the VV forum based out of England. I started my VV life on that forum before discovering this wonderful 'local' VV forum.

That being said, I'll reproduce some of my early ridings on the Van Van to get this thread rolling. If it all looks the same, please just poo-poo it off.

Sam
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

My first real 'air out' on the Van Van was back in April, just after purchasing it. It was a nice little loop of about 90 miles out to Silverado Canyon area, and then south to the Newport Coast area before returning north on PCH to home.

Here's how it looked;

Started out by 'fueling' up at Nick's, great breakfast burrito's!

The ride south through Huntington Beach, a nice quiet weekday morning without a mass of humanity, YET!

After much diverting avoiding freeways, I made it out to the Silverado area, still, a beautiful weekday morning.

Some great history in these canyons.

My goal of this trip was to access a small dirt road to climb to the peak of Santiago Mountain(Saddleback as we call it). The access point to that road is down the tiny little road Silverado Canyon Rd., but what usually happens when I do this, happened again, closed. That's ok, the ride through Silverado Canyon is quite fantastic!

Same result as my past few trips up this way on my KLX, no access. Crap!!

I had to make lemonade out of lemons. I did do a little exploring as a plan B.

That part of the story will continue, maybe a little later, honey do's are calling.
KMack likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Awe the gate....what seasons do they leave it open if any now? I'm a mountain biker so Maple Springs was a regular for me. Maybe winter...but they snow occasionally stops your travels. If you go in from the bird sanctuary you might be able to ride up? I'd be interested to know the horrific xc back roads you took to get out there. I use to ride to Cooks corner a lot on my ZX1100...back when street bikes at Cooks were not common, esp with a girl on one. Thanks for the pics.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMack View Post
Awe the gate....what seasons do they leave it open if any now? I'm a mountain biker so Maple Springs was a regular for me. Maybe winter...but they snow occasionally stops your travels. If you go in from the bird sanctuary you might be able to ride up? I'd be interested to know the horrific xc back roads you took to get out there. I use to ride to Cooks corner a lot on my ZX1100...back when street bikes at Cooks were not common, esp with a girl on one. Thanks for the pics.
KMack,

The Maple Springs gate is very unpredictable and unreliable. The Forest Service screws around a bit. Their website will tell ya the gates are open, to only find they are not. Or, the site tells you they are closed, to only find out they are open. It is not seasonal at all it seems. Last year I was talking with the ranger at the closed gate, he said 'a possible mountain lion sighting' closed the gates. UMMM.

Not sure of the bird sanctuary, but I have heard folks refer to it as a possibility.

As far as Cook's.....still has good burger's!! Just can't go near that place on a weekend, you can imagine. Although, I did once, I was only my scooter. Just to shake things up a bit, I made sure I squeeeeeezed my little red scooter into the HD crowd, ruffled some feather's, but I got my burger!

Not to jump ahead of my report, but here ya go....

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Back in the OLD days it was treacherous.....now it's just a bunch of Irvine dudes with expensive HD's anyway. You would be fine on anything, although the crowd is insane! I use to eat the southwest chicken sandwich with the giant pepper hanging out of every side. Outside of riding bikes there, it's a good spot for mountainbiking too...good trails behind the place. Here is where I ride now....(not sure why my pics are loading sideways)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	634  
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMack View Post
Back in the OLD days it was treacherous.....now it's just a bunch of Irvine dudes with expensive HD's anyway. You would be fine on anything, although the crowd is insane! I use to eat the southwest chicken sandwich with the giant pepper hanging out of every side. Outside of riding bikes there, it's a good spot for mountainbiking too...good trails behind the place. Here is where I ride now....(not sure why my pics are loading sideways)
I'll have to get out to Cooks soon. I'll update ya on that menu, the chicken sand sounds pretty tasty, maybe I'll give that a go.

Sure liking that shot of 'where I ride now'!!

I gotta get a little more of that report filled in.
KMack likes this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

I left off being 'shut out' at the gate, so I did manage to salvage a bit of sight seeing in though. This excursion was just about building miles, so there is no bad destination.

This area is just off Silverado Canyon Rd., this was back in late April, with all the rain we had in SoCal this winter, the hills were popping with greenery.

Heading south on Santiago Canyon Rd., I stopped in at Rancho Los Lomas, my son was married here 18 months ago. An ex private homestead that has been converted into an 'events' type facility.

Next stop was at Cook's for some lunch, but...I'm way to early, not open yet.

The story will continue, I'll be heading to the coast up next.
KMack likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page