• 1 Post By AWS
  • 1 Post By Flyin'Monkeys
  • 1 Post By rws
  • 1 Post By jef

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
AWS

Fuel ?

Yesterday I got out for a couple of hunts and it seemed like the bike was smoother running, not as buzzy and power more even. I just turned 400 miles on the odometer and fueled up with 91 octane gas instead of the 88 I had been using(specs call for 87 0ctane). Could the improvements be the fuel or just being more broke in?.

I've been running the bike gently keeping it under 45mph for the first 400 miles and varying the rpm a lot to break it in, last night it got cold fast and I booked it home and took it up into the low 50's, one tall hill on the way back slogged it down to 48mph but I was running into a pretty good headwind, don't know exactly but the tumble weeds were moving at a pretty good clip.

As I get used to this bike I really like it. One thing I notice it is cold, my old Honda 750 and 700 Intruder would radiate heat, this bike even putting your hand on the motor won't warm your hands while driving.
Flyin'Monkeys likes this.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 11:05 AM

AWS, what you experienced yesterday is perfectly normal, and to be expected. This little engine will get slightly smoother with more miles on it, and should be fully "broke in" when it hits 5,000 miles. As for the quality of gas that you used, the 91 octane vs the 88 octane that you had been using, it can be that, as well as the specific quality of gas from that specific load of gas that was delivered to that station. Meaning, you can get a good tank of gas, or a bad tank of gas, depending on where and when you get the gas......which affects the little engine as much or more so than the octane rating.

In 2019, it also depends on the gas that is being delivered to the area of the country where each of us live, meaning, how much Ethanol is in the gas we are buying, whether it be 5%, 10%, or up to 15%, as that too will affect the performance.

If at all possible, so that you have a straight line comparison of the quality of gas any of us are putting into the tanks of our bikes, do your best to use the same gas station every time....if possible....so you know WHERE you got the gas, and whether you end up with a good tank of gas, or a bad tank of gas.

As for engine heat, to warm you up, as you already noted, this "ain't you old Honda 750". (meant in jest)

One thing I have done with both of our Van Van's, is to install Moose Racing foam wind guards, to keep the colder wind off our hands. These can be installed in 1 minute, and removed in 30 seconds, and they work perfectly. They weigh nothing, and most likely my wife and I will leave our ON the bikes all years long, because we live north of the 45th parallel.

And, for FUN...you can change the name of the Moose Racing wind guards to MOUSE Racing....as in...small bikes.

https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1574780551
https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1574780626
https://www.vanvan200.com/forum/atta...1&d=1574780689
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van the Orangutan 007.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	3372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van the Orangutan 008.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	3374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Van the Orangutan 010.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	3376  
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM

On the fuel topic, all I'm trying to determine is:

Wii the higher octane improve performance?
Could it harm the engine?

I live in Mexico but I try to stick to US branded (Chevron, etc) stations for quality assurance (may be an illusion). The 91 Octane seems to give it a little boost, but hard to tell.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Wherever You Go, There You Are![/FONT]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 08:59 PM
rws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitano View Post

I live in Mexico but I try to stick to US branded (Chevron, etc) stations for quality assurance (may be an illusion). The 91 Octane seems to give it a little boost, but hard to tell.

the Van Van 200 is designed to use a minimum 87 octane...you will NOT get any performance increase by using a higher octane rated gas
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:35 PM
jef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitano View Post

I agree with RWS. The higher octane rating will not improve performance.

The octane rating defines the ability of the petrol (gas) to stop pre-ignition and relates to the compression of the engine. In general the higher the compression the higher the octane rating needed. It is the higher compression, requiring higher octane, that improves performance.

Filling up with higher octane than the one specified for the engine will not cause damage.

Filling up with lower octane than specified is likely to lead to damage due to pre-ignition.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page